What should a buyer expect during a home inspection?
You have a signed a contract and now it is time to get a home inspection. What does the home inspection encompass and what do you need to do? Let's answer some common questions.
What information should I have available when I call for an inspection? You should have the address of the property, an email address where report and inspection agreement can be sent, and your realtor's number.
What geographical areas do you serve? I inspect in the following counties:
Shelby, Jefferson, Tuscaloosa, Walker, Blount, Bibb, St. Clair, and Autagua. On occasion I will drive further so call me and see.
Do I have to make arrangements for the inspector to get into the home? No, when you agree on a time and date for the inspection, let your agent know so that he or she can set up the inspection with the selling agent. As an inspector I have a electronic key on my phone that will allow me to enter into homes with SUPRA boxes. If the box is a combination box, I will contact the selling agent for the code.
Do I have to be at the inspection? No, Many times the buyer is from out of town or cannot get off work and everything is done online.
Can I come to the inspection? Of course. My preference is that the buyer let us do the inspection without distractions, and then come at the end when we can explain everything we have found. But if you feel like you want to be at the inspection, then you are free to come.
How long will the inspection take? Most inspections take 2 to 4 man hours to perform. Variables that affect the length of an inspection are size of house, age of house, condition of the house and if it has a crawlspace or not.
What areas of the home do you inspect?
We begin our inspections outside where we inspect?
-driveway and sidewalks
-exterior wall coverings
- doors and windows
- retaining walls
- roof, flashing and gutters
- HVAC units
- water spigots
- electrical service and any electric panels located outside.
Moving inside we check:
- walls, floors, and ceilings.
- electric outlets that we can readily access are checked for proper wiring.
- We open, close and check locks on interior doors.
- All windows that we can access are opened, closed and locked. We also check windows for broken glass and broken thermal seals (in double paned windows).
-In the kitchen, we check the dishwasher, garbage disposal, stove and oven. We also run water at the sink and check for water pressure and leaks.
-In the bathrooms, we check the toilet, bathtub, shower and sinks.
-We light gas fireplaces, if possible, and perform a visual inspection of the fireplace.
-Any electric panel or sub panel on the interior of the house that can be safely accessed has the front removed and the wiring is checked.
-The water heater is checked to see if hot water is flowing to plumbing fixtures. The water heater is also visually inspected.
-Plumbing pipes that are accessible are also inspected.
- The attic is entered, if possible and insulation, ventilation, electrical conditions, HVAC ducts, roof decking, water supply, etc are inspected.
- If the home has a crawlspace or a basement that can be safely entered, then the inspector will check it for foundation issues, possible mold issues, moisture intrustion, HVAC ducts, electrical, plumbing, floor joists, animal evidence, etc.
- Garage will be inspected including walls, ceiling, floors, electrical, lights, garage doors and automatic door openers.
Will I get a written report? Yes, The Home Inspector will provide a report to you thru email withing 24 hours.
What tools do you use? I have the following tools available for use:
Touchless Volt Meter
Electrical Outlet Tester
700 Lumen Flashlights
Combination A frame/Extension ladder
How do I pay? The Home Inspector accepts cash, checks, money orders or credit cards.
How do I receive the report? The report will be sent by email within 24 hours.
What does an inspection cost? Most inspections cost between $275 and $350. Factors that affect the price of an inspection are size of house, age of house and presence of a crawlspace or unfinished basement. My price list.
Do you have any Google Reviews? Yes they can be looked at here.
How do I contact you to set up an inspection? Call or text me at 205-482-8413 or send me a message.